Friday, August 21, 2009

My new “training” plan

So, I’ve decided that I’m not going to do the KC Marathon.  I really wanted to qualify for the Boston Marathon, but I just don’t have the time to dedicate to the training I’d need to hit the 3:10 mark for BQ.  I still might do the 1/2 marathon, but I dunno.  There is a whole different blog post why I really don’t like doing races that dips deep into the dark corners of my psyche (and 7th grade track repressed memories).
So, for now, I’m going to focus on being a fast short to medium distance runner.  Anything under 5 miles, I know how to pace myself to finish at a good time and have plenty of gas left to knock out a low 6 minute mile.  Anything more than 5, and I’m unsure where to hold up, when to speed up, etc.
Even though I’m not training for anything, I still need some form of structure otherwise I’ll just keep doing my favorite distance of 4 miles over and over.
My plan is to push myself out of my comfort zone and see what I can come up with.  I want to alternate my short and medium runs and have them add up to 10 miles.  So if I do 3 miles today, my next run will be 7 miles.  If I do a 9 miler, I can “reward” myself with a 1 mile run, etc.
I’m also setting a pace goals for myself, so I have a PR to shoot for every run:
Distance
Goal Pace
Current PR
1 Mile
5:40
5:46
2 Miles
5:55
6:35
3 to 4 Miles
6:05
6:12
4 to 5 Miles
6:25
6:35
5 to 6 Miles
6:30
6:43 6:39
6 to 7 Miles
6:30
6:43
7 to 8 Miles
6:45
None 6:56
8 to 9 Miles
6:45
7:07
9 to 10 Miles
6:45
7:31 6:54
10 Miles
6:59
7:14
I’d like to get four runs in a week, which would give me about 20 miles a week.  If I can stick to this plan for the rest of the year, and sprinkle in a couple of long runs, I’ll be able to get over 850 miles for 2009.  I’d be happy with that considering we had a baby last December, bought a house in June and other news that I can’t quite talk about yet.
I’d love to hear from other runners how they run when they are not training for anything.

4 comments:

  1. Hey this sounds like a solid plan. Kinda cool too. I may copy it sort of. I like structure too. I usually run my usual 5 miles a day. It gets old. I am going to do 1 day a week of speed workouts with a group. Other than that I am wide open.

    Again, I think this is a great plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon wants to do a Boston qualifying time also. Maybe next year. He's thought about running the Chicago marathon to qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input, Michelle. Let me know if it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard Chicago puts on a really good marathon, Jon should definitely go for it!

    ReplyDelete