Monday, August 24, 2009

Becoming bonkproof

I'm De-bonking dat @$$.

Taking a cue from @CalebMasland blog post over at http://bit.ly/14Y9WO, I did a variation of the speed post fatigue workout.

The plan was four easy miles around a 7:20 pace, then a 5K, hopefully under 20 minutes. What a fantastic, soul-crushing (in a good way), leg-numbing workout. The first four miles are just candy. Nice steady pace, got a good sweat going, salivating about just killing the 5K at the end. Then the first fast mile is like being let off a leash, it's go time! Then just at the tail end of the first mile you realize you have to maintain this pace for the next 2+ miles if you wanna break 20:00. You suffer through the next mile, hoping you calculated your route to be long enough so you don't have to run loops through the neighborhood. Then the last mile is go time again and it's like there are wings under your feet, then (and this is not advisable) you crash during the last .11 miles because your @$$ is not yet de-bonked.

I'm happy to say that I did end up breaking 20:00 (19:57 to be exact) in the 5K part and even though I crashed over the "finish line", I can't wait to do this run again and other of Caleb's exercises

Side note: Seems I can write forever about my runs, but I can barely maintain one post a month on my work blog. Odd...

Total of 7.11 miles at 6:56 pace.

Splits were:
7:19
7:25
7:15
7:22
6:25
6:32
6:26
0:34 (.11 miles at 5:08 pace)

bonk

No comments:

Post a Comment